Non-School use of School Facilities
The School shall permit non-school use of designated facilities by certain organizations in accordance with this policy. Non-school use will be permitted only when the use does not conflict with school use, state or federal law, with this policy, with existing lease or contractual obligations of Southwest Preparatory School District or with bond and financing covenants. The School shall not permit individuals or for-profit organizations to use its facilities for financial gain. No meeting or activity shall be permitted in a school building or on school grounds that is contrary to the purpose of the public school. School facilities shall not be available for use by individuals or groups for political advertising, lobbying, campaign communications, or electioneering, as those terms are used in state and federal law.
Priorities for scheduling the use of school facilities shall be as follows:
- The regularly scheduled educational program, including instructional activities; meetings, practices, and performances of school-sponsored groups; and staff meetings related to official school business.
- Meetings and other activities of school-support groups organized for the sole purpose of supporting the schools or school-sponsored activities.
- Meetings and other activities of groups made up primarily of or providing services to school-aged children.
- Meetings and activities of other nonprofit organizations and groups on a first-come, first- served basis.
- Meetings and activities of other organizations and groups on a first-come, first-served basis and only as space is available as determined by the School.
Approval of Use
The Board of Directors must approve all applications for the use of any School facility extending beyond 6 months. The Deputy Superintendent or designee may approve applications for use of any School facility that is for a short term and 6 months or less.
Any organization or individual approved for non-school use of School facilities shall be required to complete a written agreement indicating receipt and understanding of this policy and any applicable administrative regulations, and acknowledging that the School is not liable for any personal injury or damages to personal property related to the non-school use. The School shall permit repeated use by any group or organization for non-school purposes for no longer than two months without a long-term use agreement. Any organization must be in good standing with the State of Texas and maintain adequate insurance with documentation acceptable to the School.
Fees for Use
Non-school users shall be charged a fee for the use of designated facilities. The Board of Directors or designee shall establish a schedule of fees based on the cost of the physical operation of the facilities, as well as any applicable personnel costs for supervision, custodial services, security, and technology services.
Persons or groups using school facilities shall:
- Conduct business in an orderly manner.
- Abide by all laws and policies, including but not limited to those prohibiting the use, sale, or possession of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, and firearms, and the use of tobacco products on school property.
- Make no alteration, temporary or permanent, to school property without prior written consent from the Superintendent.
- All groups using school facilities shall be responsible for the cost of repairing any damages incurred during use and shall be required to indemnify the School for the cost of any such repairs.
- Complying with directives of the School and with the terms of any use agreement.